A Preston Landlord received a suspended prison sentence after failing to ensure gas safety checks were carried out on the gas appliances in one of her properties.
The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) made contact with the landlord, Pritpall Kaur Singh, to establish whether she was complying with her legal duties as a landlord to ensure annual gas safety checks were carried out at the property in Fulwood.
However Mrs Singh failed to co-operate with HSE or produce a Landlord Gas Safety Record to demonstrate that the checks had been undertaken correctly, Preston Magistrates Court heard.
An Improvement Notice (IN) was then issued to Mrs Singh for non-provision of a gas safety record for the gas appliances in her property, but she did not comply with that notice.
Mrs Singh pleaded guilty to breaching section 33(1)(g) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act, 1974 and to one breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (36 (3)) and was sentenced to a 26 week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months and was ordered to pay £1,000.00 costs.
HSE inspector Anthony Banks said: “If you rent property out, you must comply with requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, including the need to have a gas safety certificate. Gas appliances should be regularly checked, as faulty appliances can kill.”