A Slough landlord has been fined for serious safety breaches after he left a young family in potential danger for nearly four years by repeatedly failing to check the gas appliances in a property he rented to them.

Mohammed Nawaz, 24, was prosectued for two offences of breaching gas safety regulations and of failing to comply with an enforcement notice after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). 

Slough Magistrates's Court heard on 21 August that Mr Nawaz had a legal duty to ensure the gas appliances in any properties he rented were checked every 12 months by a competent gas engineer. However, from June 2010 and Februrary 2014, no such checks were carried out.

When a Gas Safe Register engineer visited the property, a boiler was classed as ‘At Risk’ because of an inadequate seal around the flue and incorrectly-sized gas supply pipes to the boiler.

Mr Nawaz then failed to respond to an enforcement notice from HSE and an abatement notice from the local council.

He was fined a total of £9,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £3,941 after admitting two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations and a further charge of non-compliance with a HSE Improvement Notice.

HSE inspector Karen Morris commented: “Mohammed Nawaz failed to take seriously his duties and responsibilities as a landlord and the result was to put a family – including two children – at risk of significant harm.

“There is no excuse for landlords failing to ensure that gas appliances in rented properties are properly maintained and subject to annual safety checks. These are simple and inexpensive measures, but they are vital for the safety of the people living in the premises.

“HSE takes gas safety issues very seriously and we will take enforcement action when necessary.”