A Plymouth gas engineer has been fined for endangering the life of a pensioner by leaving a fire in an unsafe condition.

Daniel Wiles, 31, failed to declare the appliance at a home in Villiers Close “at risk”, despite it having a damaged and inadequate seal that could have allowed poisonous carbon monoxide fumes to escape.

Wiles was prosecuted on 18 October at Plymouth Magistrates’ Court, after an investigation by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) found serious concerns with his work.

Wiles of Wesley Place, Plymouth, was fined £600, ordered to pay £1,500 in costs and £60 in compensation after pleading guilty a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

HSE inspector, Simon Jones, said: “Wiles’ failure to declare the fire “at risk” put a pensioner’s life in danger and his neglect could have had tragic consequences. Members of the public who put their trust in gas engineers have a right to expect the work will be done thoroughly.

“In this case, the gas fire should have been properly cleaned, declared unsafe and then isolated because of the poor seal.

“Gas engineers must always ensure they do a proper job when working on gas appliances because lives depend on their actions.”

Further information on gas safety can be found on the HSE website at www.hse.gov.uk/gas