An East Devon gas fitter who risked the lives of a young couple through his dangerous work has received a suspended sentence and community service order

Luke Potts, who trades as Devon Plumber, installed a new gas boiler at a home in Exeter in May 2012 that was classed as "immediately dangerous" when checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Exeter Magistrates heard on 10 April that the boiler flue had been incorrectly fitted, and a hole had been drilled into the gas meter box to feed in a new gas pipe – both of which could have led to lethal carbon monoxide leaking into the property.

Although Potts was unregistered, having failed to renew his registration in January 2012, he continued to display the Gas Safe Register logo on his website. The householders relied on this when they asked him to fit the boiler, assuming he was fully accredited and qualified.

Potts was given a 20-week custodial sentence, suspended for 18 months and ordered to carry out 60 hours of community service. He was also ordered to pay £1,000 in costs after pleading guilty to three separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.