A plumber from Malswick has been fined after installing an oil fired boiler at a property that left the homeowners at risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Nigel Grinnell installed the boiler in a compartment with inadequate ventilation and an unsuitable material, flue liner, linking the boiler into the chimney, Cheltenham Magistrates’ heard.

No problems were noticed for around six months, until the householder came home to find the house full of smoke and fumes.

An investigation found the flexible flue liner had dipped to form a moisture trap, which had become full of water, partially blocking the flue. These conditions led to incomplete combustion and the spillage of products of combustion including CO. 

Mr Grinnell, from Gloucestershire, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act and was fined £250.