A landlord has been fined after a defective gas appliance put tenants at risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Ashby Bedeau had a gas hob, cooker and boiler under contract from a gas provider at the property in Rutland Road, Bedford, but had not had the hob gas safety checked in January 2015, as required by law.
In February 2015 his tenants felt unwell and contacted the gas helpline, Luton Magistrates’ Court heard.
The engineer that attended the property found carbon monoxide to be present and stopped the property’s gas supply.
The hob was subsequently found to be defective and classified as immediately dangerous.
Ashby Bedeau, of Bedford, admitted breaching Regulation 36(2)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined £265 with costs of £845.
If you'd like to keep up-to-date with the latest developments in the heating and plumbing industry, why not subscribe to our weekly newsletters? Just click the button below and you can ensure all the latest industry news and new product information lands in your inbox every week.