Ahead of Gas Safety Week, the Katie Haines Trust has released a new animated video to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in the UK.

Following the tragic death of Katie Haines, who died of CO poisoning from a faulty boiler on 18 February 2010, her husband Richard Haines and her parents Gordon and Avril Samuel established the Trust. Introducing their new animated video, Cause For Alarm, Mr Samuel said he had been amazed by the support he and his family had received.

He also called for a TV awareness campaign to be launched, in the hope that it could educate the general public on the dangers of CO poisoning and the need to install CO alarms in their properties, in the same way as previous campaigns have changed attitudes towards issues such as drink driving.

"We need the industry to help us to disseminate this video as widely as possible," he said.

Mr Samuel also called on MPs of all parties to look again at the regulations surrounding rental properties. In 2015, the law was changed so that landlords must install CO alarms, but only when there is a solid fuel appliance in the property. This, Mr Samuel believes is "a grave error", when the majority of flats and apartments use gas appliances.