Ideal Boilers’ is encouraging installers to use the key messages communicated during Gas Safety Week when talking to their customers about boiler servicing, maintenance and ongoing, efficient and safe operation.

Gas Safety Week takes place from 14 to 18 September, with the aim of raising awareness of the importance of gas safety and taking care of gas appliances. It is coordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas appliances.

“Gas appliances that are incorrectly installed or not regularly serviced, can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning,” explained customer service director, Chris Jessop. “Every year significant numbers of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is invisible, tasteless, has no smell and exposure can be lethal.

“There are a number of ways installers can help their customers and we are putting together a series of useful tools to help installers remind their customers how to stay safe, including downloadable pdfs.

“Customer safety is of utmost importance to us - from design, R&D, production and ongoing testing, through to our partnerships with suppliers, and finally our installers who play a crucial role in the safety of homeowners. Ensuring installers have access to relevant information is key to ensuring their customers understand the importance of maintaining gas safety.”

Top six tips for helping customers stay Gas Safe
Remind them they should:

  • Check their gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure the landlord arranges this. Encourage your customers to set a reminder so they don’t forget at
  • Check their engineer is Gas Safe registered. They can find and check an engineer at or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check their engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work they need doing. They can find this information on the back of the card.
  • Check for warning signs their appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
  • Check they know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Check they have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert them if there is carbon monoxide in their home.