Gas Safe Register has identified Edinburgh as the city which has the largest proportion of unsafe gas appliances in its homes.
Gas Safe Register and the Fire and Rescue Service are issuing a joint festive gas safety warning as December continues to be the time of year that Gas Safe Register finds the highest number of unsafe appliances in UK homes.
In fact, over the last five years, an average of one in six (17%) boilers, fires and cookers were investigated and found to be unsafe in December. Unsafe gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fire, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
The research found that the top 10 unsafe cities in the UK and the percentage of gas appliances inspected found to be unsafe were as follows:
Jonathan Samuel, chief executive at Gas Safe Register, said: “Christmas is a fun and exciting time of the year for families who get together and relax in their homes. However, it can quickly go wrong if families’ gas appliances stop working or become unsafe. Our data shows that December is a month where a lot of unsafe gas appliances are found as part of our investigations.
“Gas Safe Register is urging families to ensure that they get their annual gas safety check in time for the Christmas festivities so that they can enjoy the holidays with peace of mind that their gas appliances are working safely and efficiently.”
Mark Jones from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service said: “December is always a busy time of the year for fire related incidents. As a first line of defence, it is important to keep all appliances well maintained and ensure that the appropriate safety checks are carried out regularly, as well as having both CO and smoke alarms installed in homes.”