One in five of the illegal gas jobs Gas Safe Register investigate are deemed immediately dangerous.
Figures from Gas Safe Register's national investigation figures for 2011 show an alarming number of homes are at risk if gas equipment is not installed and maintained properly and safely.
To combat the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, often caused by poorly-installed gas work, Gas Safe Charity and The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents are launching a new initiative ‘Be Gas Safe’.
Rolling out across England this year, the programme aims to supply 10,000 families at higher risk with CO alarms and will provide many more with advice, information and education about gas safety and the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Promoting the Be Gas Safe campaign are the Heating Helpline, the home heating advice service operated by B&ES, the Building & Engineering Services Association (formerly the Heating & Ventilating Contractors' Association).
The Heating Helpline said cases of poor gas heating installations are now all too common.
“Poorly-installed gas work can cause explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal and can also cause serious long-term health problems,” said Bob Towse, technical consultant to the Heating Helpline.
Anyone who carries out gas work must be Gas Safe Registered.
The Heating Helpline’s team of experts can provide information on where homeowners can find local Gas Safe Registered installers, answer questions and give advice.
For more information call the Heating helpline free on 0800 840 4069 or visit www.carbonmonoxidesafety.org.uk