A plumber has received 100 hours of community service for carrying out gas work in Ipswich without being Gas Safe registered.

Andrew Davies from Ipswich, admitted breaching safety regulations when he appeared at Ipswich Magistrates' Court today.

A joint investigation by environmental health officers from Ipswich Borough Council and Gas Safe found Davies carried out work on gas fittings and appliances at the Kwan Thai restaurant in Saint Nicholas Street, Ipswich in July 2010 without being registered.

Davies falsely issued the restaurant owners with a safety record bearing an invalid registration number.

A qualified engineer judged the work carried out by Davies at the restaurant to be so dangerous it represented "an immediate danger to life or property."

The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) served a Prohibition Notice on Davies on 9 March 2011 that stopped him from carrying out any further gas work until such time as he obtained registration from GasSafe.

Davies pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 3 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998. Along with 100 hours of community service, he was ordered to pay £3,527.50 costs.