The Institute of Kitchen, Bedroom & Bathroom Installers (iKBBI) has joined forces with Capita, which operates the Gas Safe Registration scheme, to form a strategic partnership to promote gas safety awareness to consumers, installers and the wider KBB sector.

Damian Walters, iKBBI CEO (pictured left), said: "It's vital KBB installers are aware of their legal obligations when gas is concerned. As an institute, we have an obligation to educate our members as well as those customers they serve on the important subject of gas safety in the home."

The initiative aims to support good practice in a situation where peoples' lives and well-being could be put at risk through badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning," said Mr Walters.