A self-employed plumber left a boiler with numerous faults and in a dangerous state at a customer’s home at Hillyfield Road, Exeter.

The boiler and flue installed by Michael Dunn were not fitted to the manufacturer’s instructions or the proper standards and were left leaking gas into the property, Exeter Magistrates Court heard on 4 November 2015.

Mr Dunn then failed to respond to repeated concerns raised with him by the homeowners that they could smell gas.

Wales & West Utilities were called to attended site and found that there was a gas leak, after which the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) investigated the incident.

Mr Dunn, of Paignton, pleaded guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations and was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.