A Stockport heating engineering firm has been sentenced after two of its engineers were exposed to asbestos while working on the site of a Manchester school.
Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard Flueclean were contracted to replace boilers in the boiler room of the school.
However, two of Flueclean’s gas engineers were exposed to asbestos when they took the side panels off boilers that had asbestos insulation on the boiler casing.
Flueclean Installations Services Limited Lytham Street Works, of Shaw Heath, Stockport, Cheshire, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 6(1) and 11(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and was fined £4,000 for each breach, with £3,517 costs.
HSE inspector Kevin Jones said: “Asbestos is the greatest cause of work related deaths in the UK with over 4,000 deaths arising from past exposure.
“Contractors have a duty to ensure they protect their workers from the risk of exposure to asbestos and must properly plan any work which is likely to disturb it.
“In this case, Flueclean Installations Services Limited failed to carry out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment which if they had would have clearly identified that the work should have been carried out by a licensed asbestos contractor.
“As a result of this failing, two of their operatives were exposed to asbestos.”
Image courtesy of Shutterstock/ KPG_Payless.