An unregistered gas fitter has been fined for illegal gas work that potentially endangered lives at a home in Staffordshire.

Self-employed trader Andrew Houghton installed a boiler at a home in Alrewas near Burton-on-Trent, between 15 and 21 August 2013 despite not being Gas Safe registered, Stafford Magistrates’ Court heard on 7 January.

A subsequent inspection of the boiler by Gas Safe experts found a number of faults with the installation, including inadequate flues, an absence of a thermostat and a wrongly positioned condenser drain, and it was classified ‘immediately dangerous’.

Mr Houghton, of Morden, Surrey pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined £2,800 and ordered to pay costs of £868.

HSE inspector Wayne Owen said: “Andrew Houghton potentially put lives and property in danger by flouting the laws that are designed to protect people from substandard and faulty gas work carried out by unregistered fitters.

“It is fortunate his illegal work did not result in injury or death. Anybody who carries out work on gas pipes or appliances without being on the Gas Safe Register is breaking the law. All gas engineers should be Gas Safe registered and qualified to perform gas work.”

For advice on gas safety or