Owners of catering premises are being urged to review their fire risk assessment ensuring their grease extract systems are properly cleaned.
Owners of catering premises are being urged to review their fire risk assessment ensuring their grease extract systems are properly cleaned, following reports that the fire which broke out in a London tube station was caused by a ventilation shaft.
It took three hours for 40 firefighters tackling the fire in a ventilation shaft at a Burger King restaurant in Liverpool Street to get it under control. No injuries were reported.
Ventilation cleaning company Indepth Hygiene says this is not an unusual occurrence. Managing director Richard Norman commented: "This is yet another case that clearly demonstrates inadequately-cleaned ducts can lead to fires.
"The Fire & Rescue Service has reported a spate of recent fires in restaurants and bistros which have been linked to uncleaned or inadequately-cleaned grease extract systems.
"On this occasion, thankfully, no-one was hurt. However, if premises owners and managers fail to carry out internal cleaning of their ductwork, the chances of more serious fires remain a threat."