A Norfolk heating engineer has been fined for illegally carrying out sub-standard gas work at a newly built home in Dereham.

Norwich Magistrates' Court heard that between August 2011 and May 2012, David Scent installed a gas boiler at a property on Sheldrick Place.

A Gas Safe investigator visited the address, after the homeowner contacted the Register to raise his concerns, and found the boiler pipework and flue had a number of 'at risk' faults.

The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) was notified and established that Scent had illegally installed the boiler without being registered with Gas Safe – a legal requirement for anyone undertaking work of this nature.

HSE also found that he had signed the commissioning certificate for the boiler using Gas Safe registration details of a previous employer who had no knowledge of the work.

Scent was fined a total of £1,400 and ordered to pay £2,190 in costs after pleading guilty to two separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

HSE inspector Steven Gill said: "Scent installed a gas boiler and gas pipework knowing he was not legally allowed to do so. People die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Homeowners, landlords and tenants should always request ID and check their engineer is properly accredited."