A self-employed electrician has been prosecuted after carrying out gas work without being Gas Safe-registered.
Manchester Magistrates’ Court heard that Robert Parker had carried out gas work between March and August 2017 and installed a boiler on 24 October 2017 at a domestic property in Rossendale despite not being Gas Safe-registered.
Following notification of installation defects by the occupiers of the property, Gas Safe inspectors inspected and found the work was at risk and not to current standards. The boiler was deemed to be immediately dangerous as there was no flue connected.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), found that Robert Parker was not Gas Safe-registered and was not qualified or competent to undertake gas work.
Robert Parker of Burnley, Lancashire pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was given a 26-week suspended sentence to 12 months, 150 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay costs of £2,298.20.
HSE Inspector Sharon Butler said after the hearing: “Mr Parker undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do. All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”