A handyman from Cornwall has been sentenced after conducting gas work and leaving it in an unsafe condition.
Truro Crown Court heard how, throughout April 2016, David Lee Adams undertook the installation of a Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) hob in a permanent static home. A properly registered gas engineer inspected the work and found it to be immediately dangerous.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Mr Adams wasn’t Gas Safe Registered at the time he conducted this work.
David pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He has been sentenced to 14 months imprisonment, suspended for 2 years, and required to complete 200 hours of unpaid work. David was also ordered to pay costs of £4,000.
Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Simon Jones said: “Mr Adams undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do. His poor standard of work left a gas leak which could have resulted in a fatal gas explosion.
“All gas work must be done by a registered Gas Safe engineer to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”
If you'd like to keep up-to-date with the latest developments in the heating and plumbing industry, why not subscribe to our weekly newsletters? Just click the button below and you can ensure all the latest industry news and new product information lands in your inbox every week.